Notes to Assist Deputants
Public Attendance at Council Meetings or Information Sessions
All Meetings and Information Sessions are open to the public unless a resolution is passed to have a Closed Session in accordance with Section 239 of the Municipal Act, 2001.
- To address the assembly on an item of business already listed on the circulated Agenda for a Regular Council Meeting or a Planning Committee Meeting, submit the “Request for Deputation/Presentation” form (Page 3 of this document) to the Clerk’s office no later than 12:00 noon, on the Monday preceding the meeting date. Note: If Monday is a holiday, the written request to speak must be received no later than 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday of that week.
- To address the assembly on an item of business not listed on a circulated Agenda, submit the “Request for Deputation/Presentation” form (Page 3 of this document) to the Clerk’s office. You will be contacted to confirm a meeting date for your delegation. Note: Any item of this nature will be placed on a Special Council Information Meeting Agenda. Such sessions will not result in any decisions by Council unless it is to refer to staff for further review and recommendation to come back to Council through report for Council decision. The only business to be dealt with at an Information Meeting is that which is listed or communicated in the Agenda of the Meeting – no additional items will be added to the circulated Agenda.
- Delegations are limited to a time period of not more than five (5) minutes inclusive of all speakers.
- Delegations are limited to two (2) speakers and only those persons listed on the Agenda will be permitted to speak.
- Any printed material, for circulation to Council, must be submitted to the Clerk’s office no later than one (1) hour prior to the commencement of the meeting.
- No printed material may be distributed, by the delegation, on the Council floor.
- Delegations who read from a script must provide a copy to the Clerk’s office for the public record.
- If you require audio-visual equipment please contact the Clerk’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org, upon confirmation of your delegation, to make arrangements.
Tips for Presenting to Council:
- Rules of conduct for delegations are outlined in the City’s Procedural By-law available on the City website at: http://www.city.kawarthalakes.on.ca/city-hall/by-laws-and-policies/administration
- Limit your delegation to the time restrictions noted above
- Highlight your key points.
- Provide additional background information in writing in advance of the meeting for Council to review
- Be specific about what you are asking for
- Adjust the microphone to your height
- Speak clearly into the microphone
- Introduce yourself when you are called to the podium
- Address Council through the Chair (Mayor)
- The Chair may be addressed as Mr. Mayor or Mayor Letham
Please direct questions to the Clerk’s Office at 705-324-9411, Ext. 1266 or 1341.