The City of Kawartha Lakes is seeking individuals to fulfill the seasonal or temporary full-time position of:
Up to six (6) positions
(Internal / External Posting)
CUPE 855 Outside
$19.86 - $24.11
Reports to: Supervisor, Public Works
Duration: November 7, 2016 up to on/before April 22, 2017
Hours of Work: Normal working hours are 80 hours per two week pay period
Availability for additional hours required in the winter season.
Work Location: East and West Area, Public Works with travel throughout the City of Kawartha Lakes in accordance with job requirements, work locations may vary
- Patrol the roads during winter control season and document road conditions to ensure minimum maintenance standards are met
- Assist in the decision making process with the Supervisor in regard to winter control operations based on weather conditions, expected weather, road status, and City of Kawartha Lakes levels of service policies
- Maintain detailed and accurate daily records
- Ability to work closely and respectfully with Supervisory staff and the Winter Operations Centre in a cooperative and collaborative manner
- Assist with training, directing, scheduling and delegating operational activities, ensuring productivity, quality of work, safety and efficiency as required by the Supervisor
- Assist in the loading of plow trucks in preparation of winter control activities, as required
- Perform all duties of Equipment Operator including, but not limited to, operating winter maintenance equipment; single, tandem or tri-axel truck combo-unit with plow and wing, loaders, brushing units and other equipment as directed.
- General labour and maintenance duties including, but not limited to: tree and brush cutting, road and sign maintenance, gravel and cold patching operations, road applications (calcium chloride), guardrail or sidewalk repair, shop maintenance, general vehicle and equipment maintenance
- Provide assistance and general information to the public in regards to roads maintenance issues
- Keep daily time sheets, equipment log sheets, hours of service log sheets and prepare traffic control plans.
- Follow prescribed health and safety procedures including wearing personal protective equipment
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Secondary School Diploma
- Minimum 3 years of related progressive experience, preferably in a municipal environment
- Experience with road maintenance and repair experience, both hard top and gravel, all seasons, including winter control experience
- Applicants with proven Foreman / Lead hand or Supervisory experience preferred
- Minimum one full winter control season driving experience operating a tandem, single or tri-axle plow truck with wing and sander (must be current i.e. within the last five years) over any specified road type
- Experience and ability to safely and competently operate loaders and backhoes
- Current knowledge of winter control operations, policy, and practices including an understanding of weather basics, material application rates, salt management practices and winter control operational needs
- Ability to read and understand current legislation as it pertains to the Hours of Work legislation, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, Minimum Maintenance Standards, City policies and Operational Guidelines etc.
- Contract management experience for contracted and outsourced winter control services
- First Aid/CPR Certification, WHMIS training
- Ability to operate small hand tools and equipment (i.e. chainsaw, weed eater)
- Excellent leadership, administration, interpersonal and communication skills with a proven focus on customer service
- Ability to demonstrate initiative consistently with commitment to quality improvement, sharing process improvement initiatives with management
- Demonstrated ability to function well as a contributing member of a service delivery team
- Possess analytical, problem solving and mechanical skills
- Demonstrated time management skills with ability to handle multiple projects and changing priorities quickly and effectively, to maintain compliance and meet deadlines
- Must have legible and accurate writing ability
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and any other related software
- Possess and maintain a valid Ontario Class “D” Driver’s Licence with “Z” endorsement and acceptable driving record
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, a Criminal Record Check will be required
Applicants must be prepared for skill testing.
Interested applicants are invited to apply in confidence no later than 4:00 p.m. on the date(s) set out below to:
Human Resources Officer
City of Kawartha Lakes
P.O. Box 9000, 28 Francis Street
Lindsay, ON K9V 5R8
Or e-mail to email@example.com
Please quote position and job number on your submission.
Applications received by 4:00 p.m. August 19, 2016 will be considered during the initial September 2016 recruit process. Applications received after 4:00 p.m. August 19, 2016 will be retained on file to November 30, 2016, to be considered in subsequent or secondary recruit process, as necessary.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Date posted: August 2, 2016