Supervisor, Public Works - Job #16-089
The City of Kawartha Lakes is a large and progressive, primarily rural municipality with a number of urban centres; providing municipal services to 75,000+ residents and seasonal guests. Incorporated in 2001 as a single-tier municipality, the City of Kawartha Lakes is one of the largest employers in the area.
Reporting to the Area Manager, the Public Works Supervisor is responsible for safe and efficient supervision of the after hours and day-to-day roads maintenance operations, including manpower, materials and equipment, to ensure cost-effective delivery of roads services, in accordance with applicable legislation, corporate policy and objectives.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Be responsible for coordination of winter and run time operations and respond to deficiencies;
- Assess and track weather patterns and storm events, plan for responsive winter control operations, provide training, direction, supervision and coordination to patrol persons, equipment operators, labourers and contractors.
- Manage staff and material resources in an effective manner based on best practices and City protocols and policies;
- Record and document weather, patrol and operational activities;
- Manage a “safety-first” working environment and ensure that all requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and related legislation are strictly adhered to;
- Receive and respond to rate-payer requests for service and enquiries in a timely manner;
- Work both independently and in concert with Area Managers, other Supervisors, staff, contractors and the public.
Requirements and Qualifications:
You will be a motivated and competent leader and mentor with a post-secondary education in Civil Engineering, Construction or related field.
- Minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience, preferably in a municipal operations environment, with significant winter control experience;
- A C.E.T. or CTech designation is preferred;
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment desired;
- A strong understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all applicable legislation pertaining to hours of work, minimum maintenance standards and roads-operations policy and best practice;
- Demonstrated strong skills in verbal and written communication as well as strong computer skills (Microsoft Office – Word and Excel);
- Critical thinking/problem solving and excellent customer service skills;
- A proven ability in supervision and team-building.
The position requires travel throughout the City of Kawartha Lakes.
Salary: $70,879 - $82,918
Term: November 7, 2016 to conclude on/before April 22, 2017
Hours: 37.5 to 75 hours per two week pay-period
Participation in rotational on call, evening and weekend shifts
Additional hours as volume or scope of operations require
How to Apply: Applications may be submitted by email no later than 4:00 pm August 19, 2016 quoting Job #16-089 to:
Human Resources Officer
City of Kawartha Lakes
P.O. Box 9000, 28 Francis Street, Lindsay, ON K9V 5R8
A complete Job Description can be found at: http://www.city.kawarthalakes.on.ca/city-hall/employment-opportunities
Applications received by 4:00 p.m. August 19, 2016 will be considered during the initial September 2016 recruit process. Applications received after 4:00 p.m. August 19, 2016 will be retained on file to November 30, 2016, to be considered in subsequent or secondary recruit process, as necessary.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.