City waives tipping fees for residents affected by flooding
During flooding events in 2013, the City waived tipping fees for flood impacted residents. This was endorsed by Council at the time and was greatly appreciated by impacted residents. In alignment with this past precedent, Public Works has drafted a report seeking Council authorization to alleviate tipping fees for those residents impacted by the 2016 flood. The report is scheduled to be presented to Council for approval on April 19, 2016.
With authorization from the CAO and in cooperation with the Mayor, Public Works will begin to receive flood impacted material immediately and will waive tipping fees in alignment with the proposed April 19, 2016 report. The process outlined below and in the report will be administered to receive material at any City of Kawartha Lakes Landfill during regular business hours.
The process is as follows:
- Waiving of tipping fees is only provided to residents living on specific sections of roads that have been confirmed by staff as flood impacted.
- The owner of the flood damaged goods must provide appropriate confirmation of address that their house or property is within the impacted area.
- Any waste brought to the landfill and requested by the owner to be exempted from the tipping fee must show obvious signs of flood damage to the satisfaction of the landfill attendant.
- Impacted residents can also bring regular household garbage to the landfill free of tipping fees during the period that roadside garbage has been suspended due to road closure.
- If a contractor is taking flood damaged goods to the landfill on behalf of the owner, there must be pre-notification (email or other written confirmation) to Heather Dzurko, Supervisor of Waste Management Operations, so that the on-duty landfill attendant is aware. See contact details below.
- Subject to the requirements above, flood impacted material will be accepted at all City of Kawartha Lakes Landfills during regular business hours. Hours are identified on the City’s website at the following link: http://www.city.kawarthalakes.on.ca/residents/solid-waste-services/landfill-information
- Tipping fees will be waived immediately and for two weeks following the end of the flooding event. Notification will be provided via press release and the City’s website of the date when regular tipping fees will resume.
General inquiries can be directed to the City’s Customer Service at 705-324-9411 or 888-822-2225 from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Specific requests for contractor delivery of material can be made via mail or email to:
Heather Dzurko, Supervisor of Waste Management Operations
12 Peel Street, PO Box 9000
For more information please contact:
Supervisor of Waste Management Operations
705-324-9411 extension 1133