Earth Week in the City of Kawartha Lakes offers something for everyone
From a municipal perspective, the City has developed Hydro Conservation Champions across all departments of the City who have been successful in reducing municipal energy consumption and have achieved a cost savings of more than $163,000 since 2015. The City of Kawartha Lakes is also implementing a Clear Garbage Bag program that provides a cost effect way to divert more than 600 tonnes of waste from landfills annually. All municipal buildings and properties will switch to using only clear bags by September 1, 2016, and the deadline for the public to convert to the Clear Garbage Bag program is January 1, 2017.
“We have all agreed that creating a healthy environment is one of the guiding principles for our City. Together we are working towards making our water, land and buildings more sustainable for generations to come. This year, I challenge everyone to take part in an Earth Week activity or to commit to one small change that will lead to long term benefits for our planet,” comments Mayor Andy Letham.
- The City of Kawartha Lakes is supporting Community Clean Ups throughout Earth Week. Please contact our municipal office at 705-324-9411 extension 3520 to find out how we can assist your community group, school, workplace or neighbourhood to organize a Clean Up.
- Earth Week Workshops and Contests
April 16 to April 23 at Kawartha Lakes Public Library Kirkfield Branch, 7 Munroe St. Kirkfield. Call 705-324-9411 extension 3564 for information or visit the Kawartha Lakes Library at www.kawarthalakeslibrary.ca
- Join in the Earth Day shoreline restoration tree planting on April 22 at Rivera Park, Lindsay between 9:00 am – Noon or 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. For more information or to RSVP, please contact: email@example.com or KawarthaConservation.com
- Pick up a free orange household hazardous waste bin!
April 18-23 at the following locations:
Lindsay Landfill - 51 Wilson Road, Lindsay
Fenelon Landfill - 341 Mark Road, Cameron
During regular landfill operating hours (while supplies last)
- Attend the 8th Annual Infrastructure Ontario (IO) Property Services Eco-Fair on April 22 at Ontario Government Building, 322 Kent Street West, Lindsay
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm
- Visit Gamiing Nature Centre for their Earth Day event on April 23
1884 Pigeon Lake Road, Bobcaygeon
For more information please contact: 705-928-0263 or www.gamiing.org
- Pleasant Point Community Clean Up on April 24
Meet at the corner of Snug Harbour/Pleasant Point Road at 10:00 am.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705-201-1120.
“It is rewarding to have so many people coming together to celebrate Earth Week throughout Kawartha Lakes,” said Heather Dzurko, Waste Management Operations Supervisor for the City of Kawartha Lakes. “When we all work together, we can make a significant environmental impact in our community!”
Congratulations to the 2016 Environmental Heroes
During the Special Council Meeting on April 12, Chris Appleton received the award for Environmental Hero. As chair of the Boyd Island Committee, among other projects, Chris worked with Kawartha Land Trust to raise one million dollars to preserve Boyd Island on Pigeon Lake. Barbara Young from Residents of Rosedale and Ryan Wheatly from Fleming College jointly accepted the award for Youth Environmental Hero. The two organizations have come together to tackle several projects, including the parkette of Rosedale. The parkette has been restored beyond its original beauty with the help of volunteers and sponsors planting over 1000 native perennials and installing new benches, tables and signage.
Congratulations to all nominees for their efforts to create a healthier environment within the City of Kawartha Lakes.
- 30 -
For more information please contact:
Marketing and Advertising Officer, City of Kawartha Lakes
705-324-9411 extension 1339
L-R Barbara Young, Residents of Rosedale, Ryan Wheatly, Fleming College, Mayor Andy Letham, Pat Warren, Chair, City of Kawartha Lakes Environmental Advisory Committee, Chris Appleton