Personal tools
You are here: Home / News / Help to Prevent Kitchen Fires

Help to Prevent Kitchen Fires

January 30, 2015 - City of Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service has been dispatched to a number of kitchen fires over the past couple of weeks, prompting Fire Departments to remind homeowners about prevention and safety.

Kitchen fires are the number one cause of fire in residential homes in Ontario. These types of fires are totally preventable by following safe practices and using common sense with the cooking devices.

  • Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of home fires. Stay in the kitchen you are cooking.
  • Do not put water on a grease fire; use a proper fitting lid to slide over the pot, turn the heat off, do not attempt to move the pot.
  • If you must leave the room, turn off the appliance.
  • Wear tight-fitting or rolled-up sleeves; loose-fitting clothing can be dragged across an element and catch fire very easily.
  • If a fire starts in the oven or microwave oven, keep the oven door closed and turn the appliance off and allow to cool.
  • Keep clutter and combustibles away from the cooking area.                                   
  • Avoid octopus wiring, use one appliance per outlet.
  • Have a 1 metre child-free zone around the stove or appliance.
  • Have a proper multi-purpose fire extinguisher along the exit route of the kitchen; do not attempt to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher unless you have been properly trained.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward.
  • If you are unable to control the fire, follow your home escape plan and get out of the house and stay out, go to your meeting place and call the fire department from there or go to the neighbor’s house if mobile phone is not available; do not attempt to re-enter your home until the fire department deems it is safe to do so.
  • Ensure that your home has working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

-30-

For more information please contact:

Ronald Woolfrey
Fire Prevention Inspector
(705) 324-5731 ext. 586

Document Actions

Share |