Kawartha Lakes Tax Relief program applications now available
The program is for residential property only located in the City of Kawartha Lakes that is used as the principle residence of the applicant and must be solely owned by the applicant and their spouse, if applicable, as of January 1, 2015. If the property was purchased after January 1, 2015, the amount of the tax relief will be prorated based upon the period of ownership.
Eligibility for the program falls into three categories:
- Available to City of Kawartha Lakes property owners 65 years of age as of December 31, 2014 and in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) under the Old Age Security Act (Canada);
- Aged 55 – 64 where their combined taxable income on line 260 of the 2014 Income Tax Notices of Assessment is less than $26,875;
- Low-income persons with disabilities who receipt benefits paid under
- Ontario Disability Support Program Act;
- Family Benefits Act; or
- A Canada Pension Plan Disabilities Pension; and
- Eligible to claim a disability amount as defined under the Income Tax Act (Canada)
For qualified applicants aged 55 – 64 the tax relief will be based upon the amount of the assessment related increase in taxes between 2014 and 2015 with a minimum rebate of $25 to a maximum of $175.
For qualified applicants aged 65 and older and low-income persons with disabilities, the program changed in 2015 to recognize applicants where property taxes decreased from 2014 to 2015.
Tax relief provided in these situations will be the difference between the tax reduction and the $175 tax relief provide for those experiencing an increase in property taxes.
If you were a successful applicant in previous years, the City will not be mailing forms in 2015. Rather residents will need to complete a new form available on the City website or obtained at one of the City’s Municipal Service Centres.
Download applications at http://www.city.kawarthalakes.on.ca/residents/taxes/tax-forms.
For more information please contact:
Corporate Services Manager, Revenue & Taxation
705-324-9411 Ext. 1274