Municipal Law Enforcement
The Municipal Law Enforcement Division is responsible for the investigation and enforcement of the City’s By-Laws. Although the City has consolidated some of the former By-laws, not all have been completed. Until the By-laws of the former municipalities are consolidated or revoked they remain in effect. The Officers are appointed by Council under the authority of the Municipal Act and the Police Services Act.
The following list is some of the By-Laws that the Municipal Law Enforcement Division is responsible to investigate and enforce (this list may be periodically updated):
- Advertising Devices (signs) (PDF)
- Animals in Lindsay (Call the City Clerks Office at 705-324-9411)
- Dog Control
- Dog Owners Liability Act (DOLA & Pit-bull Legislation)
- Open Air Burning Regulations (PDF)
- Fireworks (PDF)
- Noise (Stereos, barking, vehicles) (PDF)
- Parking (parking tickets & towing)
- Pools & Pool Fences (PDF)
- Power of Entry onto Land by Municipal Law Enforcement Officers (PDF)
- Property Standards (for home, business and commercial land/building owners)
- Rates for Septage Disposal (PDF)
- Snow and Litter (PDF)
- Solid Waste Collection (PDF)
- Removal of Topsoil / Placement of Fill / Alter Grade (PDF)
- Wastewater Connections (PDF)
- Sewer Use (PDF)
- Parks & Facilities (PDF)
- Trail Uses (ATV’s – VRTC) (PDF)
- Zoning (Land use/structures) (Call MLEO Office or Planning Division for info)
The divisions seven Municipal Law Enforcement Officers investigate alleged By-Law infractions based on complaints received from the public. The office responds to approximately 1500 complaints per year.
The names of all complainants are received in confidence under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) and are protected under the act as confidential information by the City of Kawartha Lakes.
The Municipal Law Enforcement Officers work to resolve infractions or violations of the City’s By-Law through education and cooperation. However, failing to achieve voluntary compliance the Municipal Law Enforcement Officer may issue a fine or initiate court proceedings.
The Municipal Law Enforcement Administration is located on the first floor of 180 Kent Street West in Lindsay and can be reached by calling (705) 324-9411 ext 1212 or 1-888-822-2225 ext 1212 during normal business hours. Complaints can also be filed at any of the Municipal Service Centres or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have been charged and have questions relating to your ticket, please visit our Provincial Offences page.