Accessibility Awareness Recognition Awards
The deadline for nominations will be 4:30pm on the first Friday in March on an annual basis.
- Barbara McArthur Memorial Award
- Outstanding Contribution—Business
- Outstanding Contribution—Community Group
- Outstanding Contribution—Educator
- Outstanding Contribution—Individual—Adult (18 years and older)
- Outstanding Contribution—Individual– Youth (under 18 years)
- Outstanding Design Award—Innovative Architectural or Interior Design that facilitates access for persons with disabilities.
Who is Eligible?
For Memorial Award—individual
For the Business Category—incorporated for profit
For the Community Group Category—formal or informal not for profit
For Individual—Youth—under 18 years; Adult—18 years and older
For Educator—involved in the education system
For Designer—involved in the architectural, interior design, developmental planning or real property field.
What is considered as an Outstanding Contribution?
Nominee has gone above and beyond the expectation of an Educator, Business, Community Group or Individual in the area of removing barriers for individuals with disabilities or increase public awareness within the community.
For example, they may have made contributions in any of the following areas:
- Physical Barriers: ex. A business who adapted a work station for a person with a physical disability.
- Attitude/Social Barriers: ex. An individual who commits time to promoting awareness about mental illness.
- Systemic Barriers: ex. A teacher/coach who has advocated on behalf of students with disabilities for participation in sports.
- Communication Barriers: ex. A restaurant that has printed their menu in Braille or Large Print.
- Integration into Community: ex. A youth who assists a child with a disability to participate in community recreation programs.
What is considered Outstanding Design?
It promotes architectural and interior design innovations and vision in lowering barriers and enabling accessibility for all individuals.
It recognizes significant achievement toward promoting the integration and independence of persons with disabilities, through design.
It recognizes significant achievement toward promoting community accessibility.
It creates awareness on the importance of designing buildings that are more easily accessible.
The eligible project should provide an innovative or visionary solution to a common barrier and:
- Exemplify simplicity and functionality
- Embody principles of Universal Design
- Set a new standard for satisfying a basic need
- Exceed building code requirements in accommodating the needs of persons with disabilities
- Have been completed during the previous year
- Be located within the City of Kawartha Lakes
HOW AND WHERE TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION FORM
All nomination forms and supporting information becomes the property of the City of Kawartha Lakes and will not be returned. Nominators should retain a copy of their submission for their reference. Personal information is protected by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Phone: 705-324-9411 or 1-888-822-2225
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING BARRIER FREE ACCESS IN OUR MUNICIPALITY