The Corporation of the City of Kawartha Lakes is committed to making all of our online information accessible to persons of all abilities – including those who are visually impaired and have trouble seeing website content.
Through BrowseAloud speech-enabling program, you are given the option of having content read to you. As you move the cursor over the text, it is spoken aloud.
Browse Aloud is free to download and you have control over the voice, word pronunciations and speech highlighting.
Download a small browser plug-in. Once installed, content on the site can be spoken aloud. BrowseAloud is free for you to use.
- Follow the simple steps to download and install BrowseAloud
- Once installed, words are spoken aloud as your mouse pointer moves over them on the webpage. For most browsers, you can also choose to have the text highlighted as it is read or you can ask BrowseAloud to read a complete page to you
- To stop the reader at any point, just press the Ctrl key on the keyboard
- Reads webpages aloud in a natural-sounding voice
- Highlights each word as it is spoken
- Magnifies text to your chosen font size and style
- Translates word-for-word English, Spanish, French, German and Italian
- Looks up accurate dictionary definitions
- Converts text to MP3
- Masks information on the screen to help focus on a particular area
- Reads secure webpages
- Reads PDF and Word documents in their original format