The City of Kawartha Lakes has a Fireworks by-law for Consumer and Display fireworks. Consumer Fireworks are those that residents can purchase at retail outlets while Display Fireworks are those that you normally see at large events that require licensed pyrotechnics to set them off.
Under the by-law a permit is required for retail sales of Consumer Fireworks, public display of Consumer Fireworks, and for the use of Display Fireworks. Only fireworks authorized by the Explosives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada are permitted to be sold or used. Retail sales permits are available by contacting the City of Kawartha Lakes Licensing Officer at 324-9411.
Kawartha Lakes Fire & Rescue offers the following tips for safe use of fireworks:
- Use fireworks only in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
- Do not set off fireworks closer than 30m to any structure or property line
- Use the fireworks in a manner that will not cause risk to persons or property
- Do not use fireworks indoors, on a public street or in a public park
- Do not use fireworks within 100m of a church, school, residential care facility or a place where explosives are sold or stored
- Do not hold the fireworks in your hand during use unless the manufacturer’s instructions indicate to
- No one under the age of 18 is to set off any consumer fireworks other than a sparkler while under the supervision of a responsible adult
- The use of fireworks is prohibited during any imposed burn ban