Burning Wood In a Residential Setting
Many Canadians burn wood to heat their homes and to enjoy a warm, cozy atmosphere. Be sure that your burning appliance is working properly and has it been installed correctly? Have your wood burning appliance inspected at least annually for you and your family’s safety. It is recommended to have your wood burning appliance inspected by a W.E.T.T. certified agent.
Enjoying the Fire, Not the Smoke. For Your Health
Smoke is a result of incomplete combustion. It can cause minor irritations such as sore throats, coughs, runny noses, headaches and nausea. Much more serious health problems can be caused by tiny particles and chemicals such as carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons, which are present in smoke. Children, the elderly and those with asthma, allergies, heart problems or lung conditions are most sensitive to smoke and its health effects.
For Your Safety
Inefficient wood burning can be a fire hazard. Dark or smelly smoke drifting from your chimney means the wood is not burning completely. The smoke resulting from the incomplete combustion is unhealthy and can result in hazardous creosote.