The application process for Ontario Works financial assistance involves 2 steps.
To start the application process, an intake can be completed over the phone during normal business hours. Residents of the City of Kawartha Lakes can call: 705-324-9870 or 1-877-324-9870, and press “3”. Residents of the County of Haliburton can call 705-286-4085 or 1-877-324-9870 and press “4”.
The application process can also be started through an Online Application. Go to:
www.ontario.ca/socialassistance and follow the links to “Apply Online”. The Online Application is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Before you call or apply online, please have the following information about yourself and any family members living with you:
- Birth dates
- Social Insurance Numbers
- Health card numbers
- Full address with postal code and phone number (or message number)
- Monthly shelter costs including rent, utilities etc.
- Summary of all income and assets of all family members.
After completing the intake or the Online Application, you will be assigned a Caseworker who will contact you within 2 days to set up the appointment. If you do not have a phone, the Case Aide will advise you how to set up the interview.
2. IN-PERSON INTERVIEW
For residents of the City of Kawartha Lakes, the interview will be at the Social Services office, at 322 Kent St. West in Lindsay. For residents of Haliburton County, the interview will be at the Social Services office, at 11 Newcastle St. in Minden. If you have a spouse living with you, they must attend the interview as well.
You must bring the following information with you for all family members:
- Birth certificate (or other proof of birth date)
- Social Insurance card
- Health card
- Verification of shelter costs—rent receipt, mortgage statement, utility bills
- Updated bank books or statements for all accounts
- Verification of any other assets (vehicles, RRSP etc.)
- Life insurance details
- Verification of all income and earnings (pay stubs, income statements, support orders or agreements etc.)
During the interview you will meet with a Caseworker who will:
- Complete the application for financial assistance
- Provide you with information on what benefits you may be able to receive
- Provide you with information on your rights and responsibilities to receive assistance
- Provide you with information regarding Employment Services requirements
The final decision on your eligibility for assistance normally takes a few days following the interview. Your Caseworker will be able to tell you more about this.
Note: If you are under the age of 18, there are other requirements that the caseworker will discuss with you before your interview.