Municipal Event Application
What is the Municipal Event Application?
The City of Kawartha Lakes appreciates the importance of Special Events in enhancing the quality of life, tourism, culture, recreation and education and in providing economic benefits to the local economy.
The Municipal Event Application (MEA) is intended to act as a strategic resource to individuals hosting an event with an anticipated attendance of over 500 individuals within the City of Kawartha Lakes.
The MEA process will assist event organizers in obtaining the necessary information, resources and documentation that may be required to host your event, and outline the operation of events within the City of Kawartha Lakes Municipal facilities, streets and roadways. The procedures will help event organizers to determine the requirements that are to be in place in order to effectively plan and execute a successful special event and to help you to understand your responsibilities as an event organizer.
Please take the time to read through the Municipal Event Application Reference Guide as this document will assist you in completing the Municipal Event Application.
Do I need to complete a Municipal Event Application?
If you answer yes to the following question, you will be required to complete the Municipal Event Application:
- Is your event likely to be attended by more than 500 individuals per day and will take place on Municipal property?
And, you answer yes to any of the following questions:
- Is it likely you will require additional Policing or Emergency services at your event?
- Will a fee be charged or is a Special event being held for the purpose of commercial gain or profit?
- Will there by vendors at your event?
- Does you event require a Road/Street close or cause disruption to any parking or sidewalks?
- Does your event fall outside the City’s Noise By-Law and Park Operation hours?
- Will your event include food concessions and/or preparation areas?
- Will your event be erecting any Tents over 60m2?
- Will Alcohol be served or sold at this event?
The City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Division will assist you through the Municipal Event Application process and will be your primary contact. Once event organizers submit their completed MEA it will be distributed amongst a cross section of staff various departments within the City of Kawartha Lakes as well as external contacts for their review.
The Municipal Event Application simplifies the planning process for organizers as key contacts include:
- Kawartha Lakes Police Services
- Kawartha Lakes OPP
- Kawartha Lakes Fire Services
- Kawartha Lakes Paramedic Service
- City of Kawartha Lakes Public Works Department
- City of Kawartha Lakes Building Department
- City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Division
- City of Kawartha Lakes Municipal Licensing
- City of Kawartha Lakes Economic Development Department
- City of Kawartha Lakes By-Law Division
- City of Kawartha Lakes Insurance Risk Management Coordinator
- Ross Memorial Hospital
- Kawartha Haliburton Pine Ridge District Health Unit
Upon receipt of the Municipal Event Application, Staff will circulate the completed application to all parties for their review and recommendations. You will be notified if additional permits, inspections or further information is required.
The City of Kawartha Lakes reserves the right to request a coordinating meeting(s) which may be required before the event takes place.
A completed Municipal Event Application and all additional required documentation must be submitted:
At least 60 days or at least 2 (months) in advance with events with an expected attendance of less than 5000
At least 90 days or at least 3 (months) in advance with events with an expected attendance of 5000 or more
Please return the completed application form to:
City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Division
Courtney Boyd, Community Development Coordinator
50 Wolfe Street, Lindsay ON K9V 2J2
Phone: 705-324-9411 ext. 1306
Documents & Resources:
- Tents & Ontario Building Code Information Sheet (PDF)
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish (PDF)
Parks, Recreation & Culture