New! Landfill Load Inspection Program
The City of Kawartha Lakes is committed to ensuring the preservation of the local environment by responsibly managing waste and educating the public on diversion options. To achieve this, the City will begin a new Landfill Load Inspection Program starting on August 11, 2014 to reduce the amount of recyclable items being landfilled.
For all residents and commercial users of any City landfill site please remember to separate recyclable items from your waste. Any waste loads that contain more than 20% recyclable materials, these loads may be subject to charges. More information about these changes can be found in the Collection and Management of Waste and Recyclables By-law 2016-144.
Also, a Load Inspection Brochure (PDF) has been created for convenient download.
Recyclable items to separate within the City include:
- Blue box recyclables (plastic, glass, aluminum cans, etc.)
- Green box recyclables (paper, cardboard, box board, etc.)
- Household hazardous waste (oil, paint, cleaners, etc.)
- Electronic items (computers, stereos, power tools, etc.)
- All tires (with or without rims)
- Scrap metal items (including appliances that do not contain Freon)
- Leaf and yard waste
Let’s continue to work together to increase the City’s overall diversion rate from landfill. For more program information please contact 705-324-9411 ext. 1144.